The U.S. Department of Transportation has told Mexico that it will officially recover a U.S.-given air safety rating next week, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said on Friday, preempting the much-anticipated decision.
Mexico was downgraded by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to the Category 2 safety rating more than two years ago, pausing Mexican airlines’ plans to expand new routes to its northern neighbor.
→ Aeromexico to operate 14 weekly flights to new Tulum Airport
The FAA, responding to a request for comment on Lopez Obrador’s remarks, said it continued to assist Mexico’s civil aviation authority and it expected to conclude the process “in the near future.”
The downgrade was a major blow to national carriers, as U.S. airlines were able to scoop up market share. Mexico overhauled its civil aviation law, but faced several hurdles in recovering the Category 1 rating.
“This is good news,” Lopez Obrador said in a regular morning press conference, explaining that Foreign Minister Alicia Barcena had been informed by the U.S. Department of Transportation of the upcoming decision. “All of the requirements have been met,” he added.
Related Topics
Fly2Galicia Set to Launch from Santiago de Compostela in December with Network Covering Eight Domestic and European Destinations
Fuel Shortages in Namibia Force Operational Diversions on Discover Airlines Routes to Europe
LOT Polish Airlines Announces Direct Flights Between Gdansk and Paris-Orly Starting April 2027
Alaska Airlines Strengthens Its Seattle Hub with New Transatlantic Flights to Paris and Athens
Plataforma Informativa de Aviación Comercial con 13 años de trayectoria.
